Financial Coordinator - Higher Education
Cambridge, MA 02139
We are working with a university looking for a Financial Coordinator to provide complex and diverse fiscal management and administration for a senior faculty member and his interdisciplinary lab with a diverse sponsor base.
Overseeing and managing $4M/year of research funds; serving as one of the primary information and operations resources for the group in post-award grants administration; providing financial, budgeting and forecasting support; preparing monthly financial reports to federal sponsors; preparing and analyzing internal computerized reports; assisting with aspects of laboratory administration and financial management. The position will communicate across many levels of the Institute and act as a liaison and resource for the laboratory personnel. This position will interact with the department’ s financial team.
Research Financial (85%)
- Serve as one of the primary information and operations resources to the group in post-award management of federal and industrial grants
- Serve as the liaison with the Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of Vice President for Finance and other Institute Offices including the department’ s finance office as well as project contractors and outside funding agencies
- Monitor the performance of active grants and contracts and provide regular updates
- Perform comprehensive financial analysis and management of research and fund accounts. Prepare monthly financial reports and account projections/forecasts; review and approve invoices and credit card charges in a timely manner; review monthly account reconciliations and salary reports; review quarterly salary reports (EDACCA) for certification and payroll distribution changes; oversee various financial and/or research account activity including the account set up, extensions and closeouts; investigate and fix purchasing/accounting discrepancies, prepare and process purchasing and accounting forms, and authorize expenditures within certain limits; review and approve travel expense reports using CONCUR; review and approve invoices to ensure timely payment; meet regularly with the Research Sr. Financial Officer to review account resource plans and budgets; monitor daily financial activities of accounts to ensure compliance with internal and external policies and procedures
- Prepare monthly financial reports to federal sponsors. Collect and analyze financial data via SAP and KC systems; meet with PI and Sr. Financial Officer to review project goals and corresponding spending
- Prepare and submit proposal budget and other proposal documents using software; review and understand agency (federal, industrial and foundation) program announcements and policies for proposal submission process; interact with faculty, staff and department’ s financial team
- Contribute to the development of sound financial practices, policies, procedures and systems to facilitate accurate reporting and analysis of financial information. Work closely with the department’ s financial and administrative teams
- Serve as liaison with the Office of Sponsored Programs for project-related non-disclosure agreements, material transfer agreements, and intellectual property agreements
- Manage support systems related to research activities – files for faculty protocols, cost-sharing templates; F&A under recovery and other support information as needed; material transfer agreements
- Work with the administrative and technical support team to manage events including coordinating logistics and establish new vendors
Education: B.A. Or B.S.
- minimum 3 years finance/accounting or related experience in a fast-paced and complex research/administrative working environment
- prior grants administration/management experience in an academic research environment, particularly with research proposal processing and post-award administration
- ability to structure and manage complex budgets
- strong analytical, organizational, administrative, oral and written communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- ability to pay attention to detail and take initiative to implement and/or improve financial and administrative processes in support of the operations of the lab
- ability to interact with faculty, administrators, contractors, departmental and research staff and students
- proficient in MS Office