Financial Assistant II
Cambridge, MA, MA
Job Type: Full-time, non-exempt
A prestigious university is seeking a Financial Assistant II who will perform complex and comprehensive financial management of sponsored activities, working as part of the Headquarters Financial Team. This position will be part of The Financial Team and provide administrative financial support to faculty, staff and students. The position will report directly to the Administrative Officer with an indirect line of reporting to the Sr. Research Financial Officer.
- Serve as a source of information to faculty, staff, and students about financial account management. Assist with monitoring and maintaining financial account information; serve as liaison with Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of Vice President for Finance, Audit and other Institute offices as well as outside funding agencies.
- Assist with pre-award proposal development activities. Assist with the preparation and submission of proposal budgets and other proposal documents using software; review and understand agency (federal, industrial and foundation) program announcements and policies for proposal submission process; interact with faculty, staff and department’ s Research Financial Officer
- Assist with comprehensive financial management activities of research and fund accounts. Prepare monthly account projections/forecasts; review and approve invoices and credit card charges in a timely manner; perform monthly account reconciliations; review monthly and quarter EDACCA for certification; oversee payroll distribution changes; monitor various financial and/or research account activity including the account set up, extensions and closeouts; investigate and fix purchasing/accounting discrepancies, prepare and process purchasing and accounting forms, and authorize expenditures within certain limits; review and approve travel expense reports using CONCUR; meet regularly with Financial Officer and Sr. Financial Officer to review account resource plans and budgets; monitor daily financial activities of accounts to ensure compliance with internal and external policies and procedures
- Maintain support systems related to research activities. Maintain file for faculty protocols, cost sharing, F&A under recovery and other support information; monitor and manage internal chargebacks
- Assist with the development of sound financial practices, policies, procedures and systems to facilitate accurate reporting and analysis of financial information. Work closely with members of the department’ s financial and administrative teams.
Assist in creating a welcoming and well-organized headquarters office, including by maintaining furnishings and supplies, ordering food, and setting up and maintaining the conference room
- Education: High School education or equivalent. Bachelor’ s Degree strongly preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of three years related financial and accounting and grants management experience in a university environment.
Skills: Self-motivated and detail – and customer service oriented. Strong interpersonal skills and ease with both telephone and in-person contacts. Strong organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines. Strong analytical skills. Proficiency in Excel, Word. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters as well as exercise good judgment, tack and discretion. Fastlane, Grants.Gov., Kuali COEUS and SAP preferred