Substance Use Counselor
Boston, MA | Temporary
ACE Employment Services, Inc. Is working with a human service agency in Boston looking to hire a temporary Substance Use Counselor. You will be responsible for the delivery of substance use disorder counseling and case management services to the residents of the Women’ s program. The main focus will be psycho-educational groups 5 to 6 times per day with group size of 32 women. The shift is Monday – Friday, 1pm-9pm.
- Ensure that all services are delivered in compliance with agency standards and contractual requirements.
- Obtain signed consent to coordinate all aspects of client treatment.
- Provide supportive and empathic individual counseling/case management sessions to a case load of up to 10 clients on a weekly basis, throughout their stay at the program.
- In a thorough and timely manner maintain effective documentation and record keeping systems, including but not limited to: Adult Comprehensive Assessment, treatment planning, re-assessment; progress notes; case management; appointments; consent forms; data collection
- Conduct outreach to referral sources in an effort to create and maintain linkages.
- Close files within 1 week of client discharge.
- Complete any additional agency or funder reports, as requested by your supervisor or the Program Director.
- Maintain current working knowledge of referral sources such as housing, medical, outpatient counseling, dental, legal, AIDS client services, self-help groups and others to provide comprehensive services to the program clients and their families.
- Provide information and referral services to clients that must include linking clients to primary care, mental health, Family and other support services.
- Develop, implement, and facilitate/co-facilitate a minimum of 4 groups per week and complete required documentation.
- Conduct intake, screening, and admission of new clients upon request of a supervisor.
- Discuss treatment plans with clients and review in clinical meetings weekly.
- Communicate effectively with the treatment team and any other individuals or agencies involved in the client’ s treatment.
- Provide milieu coverage as needed, including: monitoring and assessing the integrity of the program’ s therapeutic milieu; empowering clients to act in accordance with the guidelines of the program; assisting clients in self-administration of medications; conducting controlled substance counts; take clients on fresh air breaks; answering phones and the front door.
- Attend weekly supervision, staff meetings, clinical meeting, monthly in-service trainings, and agency workshops.
- Attend additional trainings as requested by your supervisor or the Program Director, to enhance skills.
- Bachelor’ s degree
- Maintaining professional ethics, boundaries and client confidentiality and working from a strength based perspective using evidence base practices (MI, CBT, Harm Reduction etc.)
- Experience working with priority populations (substance use disorder, HIV/AIDS and/or mental health).
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a member of the treatment team.
- Ability to relate to clients in an instructive, supportive, and compassionate manner.
- Proficient computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational, writing, and communication skills.
- Current TB assessment and current CPR certification.